Amelia - Briarcliff Manor, New York

I believe in laughter. I believe in the ability to laugh like nothing’s wrong, because during that moment of laughter nothing else seems to matter.

It is too often in life that the moments we spend upset, are the moments in life that we remember. Whether it be a smile, a chuckle or grin, we should remember the moments we’ve spent laughing. Regardless of who these moments are spent with, whether or not our laughter is enjoyed alone, with family or friends, these should be the moments we remember most. Despite what we are laughing about, whether it be laughing at ourselves, at one another or a joke, these are the occasions worthy of remembrance.

It’s the little things in life that matter most. Life’s successes aren’t captured through the car you drive, or the house you live in. One’s success in life is proven by his or her ability to enjoy life. Laughter is an open expression of emotion; it expresses one’s true feelings. Smiles and tears can be faked, but a genuine, warm laugh comes from the heart. I believe in what Hugh Sidey once said, “Laughter on one’s lips is a sign that the person down deep has a pretty good grasp of life.” True laughter comes from within, from the heart; from one’s comfort and confidence in his or herself.

I believe it has been my ability to laugh that has kept me going, on good days and on bad days. I am often told of my inability to properly judge humor, due to my laughter regardless of the quality of comedy, however I take this as a compliment. In a society where we often forget or ignore the happiness that can be spread through laughter, it is my pleasure to provide this joy to others. I find it unfortunate that we live in a society that frequently struggles to find humor in our daily challenges.

I believe in taking the time to enjoy life and through laughter, we may all avoid taking life too seriously. We are each only given one life to live, one chance to make memories that will last till eternity. I believe in laughing, and it is the moments in life that I’ve spent laughing that I will remember most.