Danielle - Briarcliff, New York

I believe in the heterozygosity of the human race; I believe in the individuality and the originality of every being that has walked, flied, swam, slithered or crawled the planet; I believe in the beauty of inequality. No creature is the same and no creature is equal to its neighbor and despite what the citizens of planet earth are taught, inequality is the most beautiful and rewarding thing that could ever exist.

Inequality is not just comprised of segregation and racial differences. These things can be categorized as “negative inequality”. Despite what most people have thought since the beginning of time, there is an inequality that is beautiful, a kind of inequality that we’re not taught to embrace as children. Inequality is wrong, we are taught, and something as significant as the Constitution says so, conveying the idea that everybody’s equal. But this is not the case at all. In fact, nobody is equal to another and this is what makes the earth beautiful, it’s what makes the citizens of planet earth different from eachother. It’s what we need to assure ourselves that no being will exist that is equal to another and that there is, truly, so much more to one’s life than being just a… life.

It is unfortunately true that an African-American man standing beside a white man represents pure inequality, but who is to say that the white man is “better” than the African-American man? The beauty of inequality is that nobody knows who is the better person because the inequality exists on so many levels that it’s practically impossible to tell. No technology, no meter, no genius can tell me which out of two people is the one that is “better”. Perhaps inequality rises above science and the power of the human mind. The ironic superiority of inequality, I believe, to be a beautiful aspect of the world as we know it.

It’s much too bad that the irony of this superior existence of inequality can’t be thoroughly explained by a girl who has lived a meager sixteen years on planet earth, but I can observe just as well as any adult and my belief lies within me. A belief is something that is carried through ones life, something that remains constant and doesn’t change. A belief lays at the core of an individual, while the flesh and bones around it develops, grows old. Like a peach, for example, the “pit” remains inside. It remains there until the fruit around it grows ripe enough to be eaten and once that happens, the pit still exists and the seed goes on to be planted to share itself to produce more. As humans, it’s our duty to share our belief with the world around us. Let our beliefs flower into the callow lives of others.

“The only thing constant in this world is change,” Buddha tells us. Every pattern is a heterozygous one. Nothing is equal and nothing should be. In this idea, I most certainly believe.