Rebecca - Briarcliff Manor, New York

True friends are like four leaf clovers, hard to find and lucky to have. But when that friend is your mother, this takes on a meaning all its own. Friends will come and go throughout your life but a mother will love you no matter what obstacles and mistakes you face. She will never turn her back on you and will keep you on your feet every time you fall. Mothers are gifts that are often underappreciated by their daughters. They are seen as overpowering, strict, or distant. But it is a mother who knows every line of your face and every little characteristic developed over the course of your life.

If asked, I would remark that of all my friends from school, dance, and youth group, my mother is the best of all. She has never given up on me no matter how deep of a rut I have gotten into. Even when I pushed her away, she remained persistent and never let me give up. I never understood how much I truly appreciated her pushiness until recently when I became painfully aware that if I did not accept a helping hand I would not survive my situation. Rather than extending her hand in aid, as my friends did, my mother grabbed my hand and did not let me go no matter how hard I pulled away.

To me, my mother is the most surprising of best friends but I have discovered that she is also the most valuable. Life will change and friendships will shift but I am confident that my relationship with my mother will remain a constant no matter how my life is reworked.