Joseph - Newtown, Connecticut
Themes: children

As a senior in high school I find myself caught up in the stress and pressures of being a senior and leaving for college. Tuition, graduation, a summer job, these are only a few daily problems that I encounter. As an 18 year old, I am constantly faced with the same question: “Where are you going?” and “What are you going to major in?” Answering theses questions have become routine, however, as I take a step back, sometimes I long for being 8 years old and playing on the swing set at recess again. That’s why when things get crazy; I go back to being a kid. That’s right, I believe in being a kid.

I remember when my biggest worries were pricker bushes and ticks. I would play outside with my younger brother, Jake, for hours. Wiffle ball, cops and robbers, or just shooting hoops, I would spend my entire afternoon and nights of elementary school outside playing, until we were called in for dinner. There were no worries about term papers, hourly wages, or homework. But now, too many people are caught up in growing up, and worrying too much about their future as adults.

I believe in everything there is to being a kid. I believe in scrapes, bumps, bruises and band-aids. I believe in playing in the rain, mud wars and dirt all over you body. I believe in sinking the game winning three pointer, hitting a home run in the bottom of the ninth, and scoring the game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl all from the friendly confines of the front yard. I believe in being a kid no matter how old you are.

With all of the pressures the world is faced with, too many adults are filled with too much stress, and way too many complaints. Instead of escaping for a few hours, too often, they get angry and worked up and shut themselves out from others. As a senior with three younger brothers, I plan on being a kid for as long as I can. And when I do grow up, start a career and a family of my own; I’m sure I will be faced with the same problems that adults are faced with today. But, unlike most adults, when things get stressful, I will never forget the time I sunk the game winning three pointer, hit the home run in the bottom of the ninth, or scored the game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. Because I do, and always will, believe in being a kid.