Ashley - Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Themes: love

A few weeks ago, my boyfriend broke up with me. We had been dating for almost three years and were in love. He said he was “scared” and “needed time to figure things out,” like they all do. As you can guess, I was heartbroken. I sat around feeling depressed and sorry for myself until my mom finally said something about it. “You know, maybe it’s a good thing Sam broke up with you.” I remember thinking she was crazy. “It’s a good thing that he did it now, while you’re surrounded by people that love you and will help you through this…” That’s where I stopped listening. I hated every word that came out of her mouth and couldn’t understand why she was trying to justify what he did. I stormed up the stairs and refused to talk to anyone.

I tried to distract myself by spending every minute with my friends and making new friends. I found that if I kept myself busy, I thought about him less. I got the chance to meet new people and do things that were not a part of my life with Sam. As much as my ex-boyfriend hurt me, I’m grateful for what he’s given me in return. I’ve learned to appreciate things I never appreciated before.

I’ve learned that life is full of surprises. We have no control over what happens in life, but we do have control over how we deal with and learn from these unexpected events. That’s all that really matters. We have to take what we’re given and make the best of it. So, I’ve decided to follow this new path that I was at first, forced to follow. I understand that some paths are dead ends and some go on forever; some are lonely while others are filled with joy, but we all must travel different paths in order to live life. The paths we take and obstacles we must overcome are what make life meaningful. Obviously trees may fall across the path and there may be some stormy times, but by overcoming these things is how we move ahead in life. We may never know what lies ahead, but we need to be ready for anything if we’re going to live life to the fullest.

Just last week, my ex-boyfriend did what every guy does and came crawling back asking for forgiveness. He realized he had made a mistake. The fact that I love him and want to be with him hasn’t changed one bit, but I’m interested in seeing where this new path will lead me. He has opened my eyes to real life and in fact shown me another side of life that I never thought existed. So, naturally, my mom was right. Maybe this was for the better or maybe not. Maybe he will hold my hand and travel this new path with me or maybe he’ll find his own. This is something we must let life show us, this I believe.