Dea - palm desert, California

It should not take an incident such as the massacre at Virginia Tech or a neighborhood shooting to make our population finally realize that firearms in America are a bigger problem than in any other nation, and that it is inventible as well as critical to start doing something about it…Now! The debate at hand is Gun Rights and the topic of Gun Control. Different groups of people may believe in separate matters, but really extended measures need to be taken in favor of gun control. This tying into three simple points: Gun sellers, gun owners, and the fact that there is way too much illegal gun distribution occurring. I believe that guns get into the wrong hands due to the fact that American society as a whole is simply not careful enough.

Yes, If you wish to possess or use any firearm, you must firstly have or obtain a Weapons Act license. The system on purchasing and owning a gun should be stricter. Mandatory courses should be provided by the selling companies to the person looking to purchase the weapon, consisting of overview of knowledge and just the major emphasis on how important keeping the trigger, as well as the weapon itself, locked away at all times is. Since you must give a legitimate reason as to why you are purchasing the weapon in the first place, the reasons themselves should be analyzed more carefully. Firearms need to, in a sense, stop being given away to anyone.

Although it would be nice to think that in a perfect world these classes would have a positive effect on all gun owners, that’s not the way it is. About 49% of households contain guns, which is a significant amount of firearms just laying around. Gun owners are in no way taking the necessary precautions in making matters safer. If your reasoning for owning a gun is basically for just protection, then wouldn’t safety come first? Over 1,000 children are hurt by guns every year from accidents, and back in March 2005, a boy aged two was shot in the head by his four-year-old brother after a squabble over a toy. Occurrences like these should be enough reason to completely rethink whether you really want a gun in the first place.

Besides the fact that many Americans apparently sleep with loaded guns beside their beds, accidental and/or suicidal shootings in the home are not even the biggest issue in the US. In the past year, crime rates have escalated and society has become more violent than ever. Firearm-related-deaths are right on top with car accidents. Teens are the top leading groups involved in gun violence. Kids under the age can’t legally buy or possess handguns, and yet they are killing each other with them. All this mostly because they have easy access to the weapon. Careless practices of gun industries, the idea of protection, and types of illegal distribution are all ways that children can get a hold of weapons. More has to be done in an attempt to decrease this happening.

If completely banning the possession of firearms is apparently not an option, our government really needs to observe what our nation is coming to. Society needs to open their eyes and realize that pretty soon we will not be able to handle all of the chaos anymore. People are dying left and right and the main reason lately is because weapons get into the wrong hands.