Robert - Palm Desert, California

Trying to sit down and write an essay about one thing I believe is a near impossible task. There are so many things I believe how is it possible to pick just one. I believe the one thing in life you should always stick to is what YOU believe. I believe your life is defined by what YOU believe. If you don’t stick to your own personal beliefs who are you? You’re living someone else’s life. You’re not truly an individual, you’re someone else. Recently I’ve experienced this with all the peer pressures that come with being a teenager and I’ve come to the conclusion that to form your own beliefs you need to take all the facts and make a decision for yourself.

My most recent controversy came when I started to think about my political stance. My parents are very much in a republican state of mind and support President Bush. When I was younger I always figured that I would be conservative also just because they were and because I thought they were always right. Now with the current government class I am taking and the topics we discuss, I realize I don’t necessarily agree with all the conservative stances in the U.S. and the world. The War in Iraq, tax distribution, immigration laws, and abortion are some of the things among others that I don’t necessarily agree with.

However this does not only apply to politics, it applies to life in general. It applies to your everyday life and every decision you make. Every choice you make in life has to do with what you believe. If you make decisions to be cool or popular you are going to get into a lot of trouble because you are not being true to yourself. For example, drugs seem to be a popular choice most high school kids have to make and is one I am particularly familiar with. I made a decision when I was first entering high school that I would never do drugs and that decision is tested by my peers every single day. I sometimes wonder what it is like or if I should try it, but that wouldn’t be staying true to myself and I would be slowly giving up my individuality. This has proven to be one of the best decisions of my life.

However, you do need to in fact look at all sides of the equation and experience all different things for yourself in order to make an educated decision on what you believe in. You should always try new things and be adventurous because that’s what life is all about. If you don’t, how will you know what things you like and don’t like. That’s why you need to experience, live life to the fullest, and live everyday as if it were your last, because that’s what life is all about.