Lisa - Palm Desert, California
Themes: carpe diem

Stop and Smell the Flowers

I believe that if the world just stopped for a second to listen and to observe, the chaos and madness would be put to a halt. Only then, could we fully appreciate the beauty of life. What is the rush these days? Step out into the streets and you will see a woman, cup of coffee in hand, heels click clacking swiftly on the pavement rushing to her car. There she goes, speeding off to work, five minutes late and hitting terrible traffic. I must ask why we put ourselves in unhealthy situations such as this and in turn, what we get is frustration, sadness, and anger. There is always a time in our lives when we are rushed to do something and although we adapt and learn to think on our feet (a vital life skill), it is okay to stop and smell the flowers so to speak every once in awhile. We have one life to live so why not “live deep and suck the marrow” out of it?! Henry David Thoreau would not have it any other way.

To appreciate something better, I believe we need to express ourselves with words and gestures. This becomes therapy in itself and is a way to release and eventually overcome concerns, thoughts, and problems. Find a listener, someone who will not judge or put you down for your thoughts and opinions. Let it all out and then switch roles. When you become the listener, listen for the sake of listening and listen to learn something new. Listening would be beneficial to our lives because it is a chance to sit down with a willing individual to share something personal, to share something irrelevant, or to share something out of this world. Whatever the topic may be, the time you take to sit down, to really talk and to really listen, is precious. In doing this, we would appreciate the many blessings in our lives so much more.

People today rush through everything whether it’s with their education, their job, their life, or all of the above. No one takes the time to absorb 100% and that is just a shame. Out of all the classes I took in high school, AP English language was probably the most inspirational to me. This class opened my eyes to new concepts and ideas of life. Through the English language and literature, I learned that we, as a society, focus too much on our past and daydream about our present. They say that we learn about the past to create a better future and not making the same mistakes but what is the point of living if you don’t live for today? We subconsciously think about things that occurred in the past and the future is always in our minds. Where does the present fit in? Nowhere, it seems. Therefore, we must change our outlook on life. I understand that some people live in the past because they are stuck in a rut and cannot get out. Something these people need to understand is that in order to overcome past events, we must deal with it in the present. The same idea goes for those who dig and poke at the future, wanting to more. I am not saying one should throw away their hopes and dreams of a successful future. I am saying that in order to reach such aspirations, one must work at it, day by day, hour by hour, and minute by minute. Even until this day, I am curious to see what my future holds but I stop and think to myself, realizing I am happy where I am and what the future holds shall also bring me much happiness and success, even if there are a few bumps in the road.