K - Palm Desert, California
Themes: hope

Optimism is a positive outlook on life: The idea that most situations will work out for the best; the belief that people and events are inherently good. Optimism is a state of mind and a way of life. Optimism is hopeful, positive, and confident. I believe in optimism.

As a little girl I always dreamed of my ‘grown-up’ years. Even at the young age of Barbies and hide-and-seek, I was an optimist. I could think of nothing but what I would become and accomplish. The day I would go to high school, my first boyfriend, graduating college. Growing up, I believed in a fairytale “happily-ever-after” and finding my prince charming that I always thought would come my way. The trials and falls along the way didn’t get in my way and were not given a second glance. I never thought I would ever have to change my plan.

On the verge of graduating from high school, most of this childhood plan has changed into a much bigger adult plan. Grades, college, friends…life has changed and I did not always get my way, but I always saw the glass as half full. After falling down more than once and crying myself to sleep, I am still that girl who believes she can. I thank my optimistic nature and the two generations of my family that have given this gift to me. Optimism has always been a large part of my life. Both my mother and grandmother have taught me the joys and excitement that life holds and have allowed me to realize that happiness is possible no matter what. My eighty-six year old grandmother is in perfect health and is the happiest person I know; she is truly the ideal optimist and what I hope to become as I age. She is proof that optimism is beneficial to one’s health and happiness.