Aaron - Palm Desert, California

Technology:

For Better or Worse?

What does our future full of technology hold for us? There is no doubt that technology is evolving to help make our lives easier, but is that necessarily a good thing? In some cases the answer is an obvious “yes”. Medical technology is constantly improving to save lives at a higher success rate than ever before, and emergency response times are drastically reduced thanks to early warning and security systems. Yet in other cases, it may be a little more difficult to answer. There are currently multiple automated systems that are taking work away from hard-working people. Robot assembly lines, automated video stores, self-checkout lanes, and many more. Undoubtedly these things are to make our lives a little bit easier, but at the price of adding to the unemployment line.

Not only do these new and high tech systems take away jobs, but they also take away the social aspect of our society. People can now do their grocery shopping online and have their purchases delivered straight to there door. You do not have to go outside if you wish to meet a soul mate, you just make a profile on one of the many dating service sites on the web. People no longer have to ever interact with the outside world. And this is just our current technology. Imagine our nation in 50 years. Illegal immigrants will have to find new jobs because we will have robots picking and tending to our produce. Cars will drive themselves and put the passengers at risk incase of a power failure. Teachers could easily become a thing of the past due to advancements in simulation programs.

Those people who do not have a “knack” for technology will be left behind. You will need some type of college education in computers if you want to have a successful life with a well paying job. The nation will become even more obese and lazy. Robotic military units will be fighting our wars while the people controlling them are in the back of a van on the other side of the world. Technology is constantly being updated to help make our lives better, however this could easily become a double-edged sword.

Our evolving technology will continue to evolve, and there is very little people can do to stop. Solely just because so many people take it all for granted and it has become a part of everyone’s every day life. Some of us can’t live without computers or television sets. The technology we all rely heavily on is not only harming the human race, but also our planet. Landfills are filling up our remote areas and in some cases spreading harmful toxins around the vicinity. Automobiles are destroying the ozone layer. I honestly believe that the human race would be much better off without all of the technology in which we have come to rely on so much.