Julio - Cathedral City, California

I believe that in today’s world, people sometimes have to be “bad guys”, have to lie, or even be hypocrites. Unfortunately, that is what the world has come to be. Because if you’re not, the world will eventually eat you up. But of course, there are also times when we have to be honest and fair.

I hadn’t really set my life to this principle until I was actually “eaten up”. One day as I was coming home from work, I was involved in a minor car collision. What ended up happening was that I hit another car, and it was all my fault, and I took full responsibility for it. So we pulled over to the side and the car I was driving, which was my dad’s car, didn’t have the license plates. It had the plates from the car dealership; the only things the elderly man asked me for were my name and phone number. As soon as he asked me that I thought to myself, “should I give him my actual number and name, or should I lie?” I felt a little sorry for the man because he was so old. So I did the honest thing and gave him my actual name and number, and that was the end of that.

About two months later, I was involved in a bigger car accident, but this one was completely unavoidable, no ifs, ands, or buts. The car swerved into my lane so close to me that I had to swerve entirely out of the far right lane, causing me to run into a pole. The car that swerved into my lane just sped off. At the time I was not insured for that car and so the $3000 dollars worth of damage that resulted out of that accident ended up coming out of my parents’ pocket. Once I thought about it some more, I came to the conclusion that the person in the other car was probably not insured or wasn’t a citizen. If that person was they would have pulled over and try to settle the problem.

When that happened I wondered why it had happened to me, because I am a good kid, and never caused any real trouble, so why me? Why not the guy who smokes pot or steals?

I explained this to one of my best friends and she told me plain and simple, “Life isn’t always fair”. After she told me those words it hit me that life really isn’t always fair. So now when I think of the world it is kind of like survival of the fittest, kill or be killed. But if it is someone you love like a friend or relative then you should always be honest. My good actions in the first accident never really paid off. However, out there in the world almost much of the time cheaters prosper.