alexa - palm desert, California

I believe in the “golden rule”, that you should treat others how you want to be treated. Although it comes straight from the bible and I am not religious I find it to be true. The idea is as simple as it sounds. Be kind, honest, loyal, and you will get the same in return. One can not expect anything if they do not give anything.

When you show kindness to others it doesn’t go unnoticed. Whether they return the kindness or not, they do realize it was given. It takes just as much effort to be rude as it does to be kind but most people would agree that they would want to be treated kindly. There are however those sad, mean bunch that just will not return the favor, but I’m sure they feel the guilt later on.

As simple as this idea sounds I believe it’s the reason I have such strong friendships today. Throughout high school you are faced with so many opportunities to break the rule. Whether it is lying, stealing, or even gossiping about a friend. On a daily basis you are tempted to gossip or join in on making fun of someone but you have to think twice and ask yourself how it would feel to be on the other end, to be the one getting teased or slandered. Then you realize it’s not that hard to change or end the subject. Those who gossip with you will gossip about you, so it all comes down to treating others how you want to be treated.

The person who shaped my belief was my grandpa, Ocampo Lerma. I spent all my mornings and afternoons with him as a child, all I wanted to do was be just like “Papa”. Not once did you hear him talk bad about others or gossip about family members, or anyone else. He is always there to lend a helping hand and make others happy. Never in my life have I ever heard anyone say something bad about him, I really believe that it’s probably because no one ever has. He is greatly appreciated by the family, immediate and extended because he is such a good person. Some are even envious of my family because we have him as our grandpa.

On the other hand there’s my grandma Esther and although I love her with all my heart, I can see the difference in the way people refer to her than they do to my grandpa. This I believe is because she doesn’t follow the golden rule; she doesn’t listen to others and only does what she feels right. People will tell you she is stubborn and hard-headed, but you would never hear them saying anything like this about my grandpa. Because he treats others how he wants to be treated no one notices any of his flaws. Which is how I would like to be looked upon as.

Treating others how you want to be treated may not always work. Yes, you’re going to face rude people and some will hurt your feelings. But in the end what are they going to really have against you? Were you to nice to them, did you hurt them by being honest? No, they will have nothing to hold against you and though some may not acknowledge it openly they know you’re a good person. All I want in is to be happy and loved by others; I believe I can achieve this by doing what I think right.