Jonathan - Palm Desert, California

A person can not survive in the world to day without an education. Ever since we were in preschool, teachers would tell us how we would go to college and we could be what ever we wanted to be. It is kind of ironic however that everyone is told to study hard and do well in school and learn everything we can, meanwhile we have some teachers that don’t teach to common sense. Today some teachers are more worried about getting the students through the class then having them learn something and get a quality education. However the students are the same in that they do not care about what they learn, but rather what grade they receive so they can get into that one special college. If the students were more motivated to learn, then I believe that everything would be much easier on everyone.

There have been teachers all my life that have told me what to think and what to do. Most of them just go into teaching and don’t even bother to tell their students why they bother to teach this information. Also if the students do not understand the information, the teachers don’t bother to stop and re-teach the lesson in a different way. This reminds me of a French teacher that I had; I could not understand what she was trying to teach but she never tried to explain it in a different way. I went in to class early to try to learn but I never really did understand it and she just went on teaching the lesson. Everyone is so focused on the time they have to teach something that they forget why they teach it. I believe that the teachers should come up with reasons why they bother to educate us and how it can be beneficial to us in the future.

Teachers and students should work together more. Even though the teachers are there to teach the students, they should also be graded by the students. The students and teachers should have equal rights at schools and should have to follow the same rules. School is about getting everyone ready for life but we seem to learn much more from our jobs and the time we spend away from school. I believe that if someone needs to go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, or even take a phone call then let them. If a student can’t answer their phone in class then neither should a teacher.

I have always liked to go to school and to learn about different things. I have had these thoughts because of a course that I have gone through to become a Scuba Diving Instructor. What they taught us was to work with the students and make sure they understand the instruction that is being presented to them. We always tell why they need to know what we tell, and will not move on till they understand it. Now I am not saying that we should hold up a class on the account of one student but that we should try to make that student understand and not be pressured by time. I believe that with a few changes we can make education for all the people in the world much more enjoyable and fun.