Bailey - palm desert, California
Themes: prejudice, race

Bailey Corbeil Period 4 5/31/07

People deal with this same issue everyday, but not in the same way. This is a hurtful act that people do or say to one another, it’s called judgment. I have been judged more over the last year and eight months than in my entire life, why because of who I am dating. I am a 17 year old white female student who is dating a 19 year old Hispanic male. To me my boyfriend is the most amazing person I have ever met, he’s my best friend. Although for some reason the fact that I am dating outside my race is a huge deal.

One time we went to the movies and of course we were holding hands, yet I felt like a moving target. I could feel everyone’s eyes looking, staring at me. You should know that feeling, the feeling of judgment when you know people are thinking things about you. The worst for me are the reactions I get from my family. My father, the worst, would say racial comments about Hispanics right in front of me, when he knew I was dating someone of that origin. I can remember at the beginning of my junior year having people come up to me asking, “Why are you with him? You now he will never be successful.” There is judgment everywhere, at school, work even at home and everyone does it it’s just a matter if you express it.

Judgment isn’t all about race it can be about the way that people look, talk, anything. I believe that high school students, such as me, see, feel and hear more judgment than anyone else. Just by walking down the hall ways you can hear people talking about something that someone else may have done. It is an everyday thing at school people are saying things behind their backs, people are upset either mad or crying because of what someone has said about them. Judgment hurts everyone that is affected in some way or another. Since everyone does it no matter who you are, the question is why do we do it? Is it because we are insecure about ourselves, or are we looking at others with envy, the truth is everyone does it for their own reason but most of the time we are insecure of ourselves. I believe that it is ok to judge people as long as you don’t say anything to them, in my case with my boyfriend, I guess you can say that I am a strong person for not caring because no matter people do or say I will always love him.

I believe that people judge and it isn’t necessarily good yet it is normal. I’m sure that you have felt judgment at least once in your life time, and I hope you never feel it again, but for you future judgers, remember by judging you can hurt someone and karma will come after you, but that is a different belief all itself.