Sean - Rancho Mirage, California

This, I Believe

When I first heard about this assignment, I wasn’t very excited to do it. I was going to deal with this essay the same way I usually do. Just kind of B.S. it, but the more I thought about it, the more appealing it sounded. Here is a chance to rant and rave without anyone interrupting. So I decided to take it seriously, to really get my thoughts down, to make a sort of checklist, so that everyone could read. And I also know that many people won’t agree with me, but you haven’t walked in my shoes or seen what I’ve seen.

First and foremost, I do not believe in a god. I truly refuse to. I have seen how our society has changed god from an idea, to a dictator, an angry tyrant. And I don’t follow those who don’t give me options or the right to an opinion. We have taken religion to a level it was never meant to go. We have put so much faith in an idea that it has become more than it was meant to be.

I also full heartedly believe that people should only see people. What I mean by this is that color, gender, religion, and sexual preference should not matter. We all live on the same rock, there is not enough room for hate. This kind of behavior we have for people who are “different” is disgusting. Whether the person has a preference for their own sex, has darker skin, or believes that a wheel of cheese will come to save us all, that person deserves the same rights as you or me.

Don’t let people or their comments get you down. You should instead learn from them to make yourself a better person. Learn to look at the world from their perspective. Mark Twain once had a quote that I believe we should all live by: Live in such a way that when it comes time for you to die, even the undertaker will be sorry.

I also believe that we should start over. Get a clean slate. With no oppression from the dictators we have ruling us, so we may actually be a “land of the free”. No money to make us look better than others, to learn to appreciate what we do have. No hatred, because we are stronger as a people when we aren’t fighting each other.

I know and understand that the chances of any of this ever happening are somewhat low. But you should understand that we have all lost sight of the “dream” of our country. We have all gotten too darn materialistic and too concerned with the unimportant. We all need to take a big step back and look at what we have become. Our founding fathers stated that the government should be run by the people, but is that the way it is?

But even in the gloom of our situation, I believe in Hope. I believe that we will soon be brought out of darkness of our current state and into the light of a grand tomorrow. I know we have the potential to be great, to start something never seen before. We only need that spark to show us how to do it right.