Brandon - Rancho Mirage, California
Themes: change, family, love

Fear, excitement, anticipation, and confusion are some of the emotions which were present that evening. It was an evening that would end joyously, but began with a hint of fear. It was the night my baby brother, Christian Earl Davis was born.

Weighing in at 8 pounds 8 ounces and healthy as can be, the little toy was a foreign object to me, a freshman in high school. Sure I had seen a baby, held a baby, but had one as a brother, that would be in the same house as me for four years? Nope, this was a first.

The first time I saw Christian, and looked into his big, beautiful, baby blue eyes, I was in awe. I wondered and still wonder how some people do not believe in a God, because only a God would be able to create a creature so perfectly. Once Christian came onto this planet, God solidified my belief in him and his powers.

My mother was 44 years old when she gave birth, pretty old to bear a child by most peoples’ standards. The last child she had had was 11 at the time, and I was 14. Her age was the reason we were all uneasy that night. We kept these thoughts to ourselves, but it was obvious everyone was thinking them; was the baby going to live? Was my mother going to be ok? Would the baby have any mental or physical defects?

I believe my baby brother had the biggest effect in my life so far. He has taught me so much about life; how precious life is, how beautiful life is, and how joyous life can be. Christian helped me get through high school with eaze. No matter how awesome, stressful, or miserable my day was, I always came home to my baby bro, who never had a care in the world. He always greets me with the biggest smile and hug. My baby brother always makes all my worries and problems disappear for the moments I am with him.

The most cherished memories I have with him so far include rocking him to sleep at night, teaching him to walk, and watching him learn to talk. I love having Christian sleep right next to me, it’s just amazing how a baby can love me so much to fall asleep in my arms. Watching him try to walk for the first few times was hilarious. He let go of the chair he was holding onto and go for a good two steps, then plummet on his face! It sounds mean, but was great to watch. Talking is even more funny. Trying to teach him how to pronounce words was a crack up as well. To this day he still calls me “Brunden,” but that’s fine with me.

Next year I will be heading off to college, leaving my baby brother whom I have grown so close to. Our relationship is the most cherished to me at this point in my life. My mother and I wonder everyday if Christian will understand my leaving, and be ok with me gone… and we wonder the same about me.