CURTIS - Palm Desert,, California

Many people are unconcerned about global warming, but

I believe that global warming is killing our earth. The problems that global warming is causing are that the oceans are rising, the land is getting smaller, storms are becoming more violent, temperatures are rising, fish and animals are dying, and the human food supply is decreasing. I believe that if people do not change the way they live and treat their planet, then the kids today will not have the experience to show their kids how beautiful earth really is. These problems could end all human existence.

I believe that ocean water will get warmer because mother earth is getting warmer. If the oceans get warmer then millions of fish will die, and the human food supply will drop. It does not take much change in the water temperature for the sea life to die, because animals do not adapt to change very quickly. This problem alone could end our planet.

I believe that the ocean will rise three feet in the next 100 years due to the fact that the earth is getting warmer and the polar ice caps are melting. When the water rises, coastal cities will be wiped out and beaches will be gone. Millions of people will be homeless and with out a job. If the polar ice caps are gone then thousands of artic animals will die due to the fact that there is no ice. Animals such as polar bears and penguins that survive off the ice will die.

I believe that storms are getting more violent, because of global warming. Research at Georgia Tech has proven that the intensity of a hurricane is increased by the higher surface temperature of the ocean water. Unless we do something to turn this around, we will have more storms like hurricane Katrina with hundreds of thousands of deaths.

I believe that people do not understand about global warming because they do not see the effects of global warming. They are happening too slowly.

People think they will not have to deal with it in their life time. They think that after they’re dead, their kids will deal with the problem. If everyone started to live like the Native Americans did and did not over use the earth resources, then the earth would not be so messed up. Everyone today just cares about getting money out of the earth, even the Native Americans that once loved the land.

I believe that people do not want to deal with the global warming problem because it will cost too much money. But that is wrong because it has been found that reducing heat-trapping emissions can save businesses money. An independent study at MIT has predicted that if households would allow caps on the amount of energy they use, then it would cost an estimated $20 per household and not hurt employment at all.

. I believe that the movie, An Inconvenient Truth, was made to help people see what will happen to earth and the people that live on it, if we don’t change our ways. I agree with the movie that if everyone would work together, then we could change the path of global warming.