Michael - Fairfield, Connecticut

I believe that there is such a thing as paradise. The great thing about my belief of paradise is that it is whatever you make it. What I am saying is that you do not have to die to go see it. In fact, I go to paradise every summer vacation. My paradise is a small Boy Scout camp called Camp Yawgoog. Yawgoog is so separate from the rest of the world. Except for the lack of females and the food, it is really nice. It is almost impossible not to have fun there. Each year as the sun sets and its reflection is seen on the lake with all of the vibrant reds, yellows and oranges, I say to myself, “Could this get any better? This has to be what Heaven is like.” I would be a fool not to think that this was Paradise. I was away for a week from everything, enjoying myself, and having fun with my friends, and there is nothing better than that.

Another place where I have found a paradise is amongst my friends. Yes, they can be a little annoying at times, but who is not. When we are not annoying each other though, there is a connection between us. As a group, we have only been hanging out together for about a year, but, we have gone through so much. Moreover, whenever we go on a trampoline together or play in someone’s front yard, we reach a point of almost surrealism. When that comes over us, paradise strikes us all. That is what is so great about being with my friends. That sense of invincibility that comes over us when we are having fun together. My friends think I am weird when I tell them this. They are all very book smart, but, they have taught me more than just facts. They have taught me where paradise is.

My main teachers on the road to searching for paradise have been my parents. When I was younger, they taught me that if I was a good boy, when I died, I would go up to Paradise. Now the story has changed, but the meaning is the same. I have learned that you have to search for paradise in my heart, and that is the only place where you can truly find it. As time passed on in my life, my picture of Paradise has changed. This is good because, my parents wanted my picture of paradise never to be the same.

I believe in all of this. Moreover, as I go over what I believe paradise is and I think about all the paradises in my life, I see that paradise is whatever I make it. Everyone doesn’t have the same paradise. Paradise is what I make it whether it is in this life or in the next one. In addition, as I think about this, I realize that there is a specific, paradise for each individual that has ever lived.