Jeffrey - Oceanside, California

I believe in the importance of being individualistic. Basically, not doing something because someone else is doing it. Its pretty obvious, especially in high school, when people do something that they don’t want to actually do, but are doing it solely because other people are doing it. I don’t know if these people are aware that it’s so blatant or if they just don’t care as long as they seem to fit in. These people really aren’t fitting in though, are they? What they are really accomplishing is the successful imitation of people who are fitting in. There’s a difference. In my opinion, I think that initially, people intentionally pretend to be more like someone that they think is popular. Then, they will do it so much that they no longer realize that they are simply doing what they think will impress that one person or group of people. Which is a major issue because, if you don’t know that you have a problem, how can you find a solution to it? Being so unaware of something can be extremely disastrous. I know that this is something that teenagers are told a lot about, how they shouldn’t want to be like everyone else. How we should all just ourselves and who we want to be. But the reality is that that is the absolute truth. I think that an important question to ask yourself before doing something is simply, why am I doing this? Is it because I want to, or is it because I think that someone else would want me to. A lot of times, you might find that the answer is because someone else wants you do to that. If someone wants to know why it is so important to be individual, just imagine what the world would be like if almost everyone was the same. It might just be me, but I think that the lack of diversity would be extremely boring. It’s important to be individual because then you can make the choices that you want to make, and not be influenced by other people.