Annie - Newtown, Connecticut
Themes: change, nature

After a dry, warm spell, when the rain suddenly comes pouring down in steady sheets, drenching every exposed surface, I smile to myself as my heart excitedly skips a beat.

Every type of weather in Connecticut is truly beautiful in its own way. The hot beating sun and the enveloping thunderstorms, the wispy wind and the crisp chill of the air, the snow, the ice and the sub-freezing temperatures, and the light rains, the cold mornings and the warm days. Each season, each day of the season, brings its own little surprise. This is what I love about living in this region of shifting seasons. I believe that a continuous change in weather is energizing.

With every kind of weather I feel a different type of content. In the summer, I rise to the sun peeking in through my windows and the familiar chirps and calls of the solely warm weather birds. The typical humid hot days pull me outdoors with no hesitation. When I was younger these days would spur my brothers and me to untangle the green garden hose and hook up the sprinkler. In our bathing suits we would run through the fan of water. At night I sleep with my windows wide open as fresh, warm air streams into my bedroom and I am surrounded with the comforting chirps of the far off crickets, putting me immediately to sleep.

Thunderstorms are exhilarating. Last summer my cousin and I ran up and down Main Street in the pouring rain, to honor and refresh our memories of childhood rain dances, when we would run in bathing suits down my driveway as we splashed in puddles and screamed songs at the top of our lungs. At the invigorating rumble of thunder in the distance we would flail our arms a little wilder as though possessed by the energy of the lightning.

On snowy winter nights I bundle up in snow pants, a hat and boots to go trekking through the untouched snow with my mom. The glow of the street lights reveal the snowflakes falling against the black sky. Not a noise can be heard but the shuffle of our boots and the light touch of the flakes to the ground. Though, sledding is no longer as irresistible as it used to be, in my older age the purity of the snow brings me a new type of satisfaction.

At the end of a season, I wait with great anticipation for a new assortment of surprises from Mother Nature. Experiencing the first snow, the first rain or the first eighty degree day of a year is like seeing a long lost friend. I cherish the time we have together and don’t regret its departure because I know that it won’t be long until we see each other again. After it has left, another friend who brings me a different type of joy will come back into my life and I will be energized with change once more.