Emily - Leesburg, Virginia

Have you ever woken up and wished that you could take back something you did or have a second chance to do it all over again? I believe in second chances. I believe that if you want to change you have the power to change. If you want to go back and relive a moment that you dream about you have the power to go relive that moment and make it happen again.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. Everyone, no matter who you are, makes mistakes in one point of their life that they wish they could take back but that is not possible. People should not be judged just because of one mistake in their life. There was a point in my life that I realized that I deserved a second chance and there were probably more people like me out there that deserved second chances too that I just blew off because of one mistake that they had made.

It was my junior year of high school and I was so excited. I thought that I would get my grades up and go to the school of my dreams so that I would have a very bright future. Well things don’t always go as planned. My junior year of high school ended up being the hardest time in my life. As the year progressed I thought that I would just slide by and not have to do any schoolwork and my grades would be fine. In the beginning of the year I got into the wrong group of friends. I started doing the “party scene” and not caring about anything but my social life or what I was doing that Friday night or that weekend. I thought that if I got good grades in school I wouldn’t “fit in” or “be cool” with the rest of the people that I hung out with or that I would be called a “nerd.”

As the year progressed my grades went from As and Bs to getting Cs and Ds and an F for the first and second quarters. My parents would put me on restriction, take everything away from me, and tell me that I needed to straighten up and how disappointed that they were in me. Even after all the doubts and the criticizism I still went on the same path with not caring about anything. I ended the year with a 2.5 GPA and was told that I would never get into a college with those grades.

I don’t know when it happened but one day it finally hit me like a brick wall that without college I would not get a good job and would not make a good living. I always looked up to my parents because they had always provided me with a good place to live and all the necessities that I needed and I had always wanted to do the same for my family and to make my parents proud. I saw in my parents eyes the disappointment and resentment they had towards me that I was not serious about my grades, which would become my future.

My senior year came and I realized that I needed to get my act together, and fast. I disconnected myself with the group of friends that I had that were not getting me anywhere and I started completing all of my school assignments. If someone asked me to do something during the week or weekend I would make sure all my schoolwork was done before I went anywhere. With all the effort I put in I saw that affects of it. My grades finally went from Cs, Ds, and an F to all As and Bs like before. I saw my parents frown on their face and resentment go to smiles and praise for me and what I was doing.

It is now almost the end of my senior year and I have continued on the right path. I now have a 3.7 GPA and have gotten accepted into college. My parents and family gave me a second chance to get my life together and without that second chance I would not be where I am today. With all that and the experiences I have been through in my life with family and friends to me second chances are the most important thing that a person can give to someone. Second chances to me give a person a chance to relive and take back a time in their life that they were not happy for and just make it better. Second chances can make you a better person in life and depending on the circumstances everyone should get some kind of second chance and it will be so worth it in the end.