Erick - Palm Desert, CA, California

Good or Bad?

What has always made our country so great, is it the life style, the enormous amount of opportunities that our country provides us, or the valued rights that all United States citizens are given? That’s for the citizens to say, but what I believe is that it’s not the same beloved United States it always was. The United States seem to be slowly loosing its place at top because of the current corruption in the government, and our unpopularity world wide; but what will seal the end of us will it be war, corruption or an economic breakdown?

I believe our country is run by selfish, greedy people that were able to graduate from top of the class schools not because they worked hard for it, but because they had the money to get into the schools, and because they had some kind of connection within that school. Sometimes I ask myself how people like Mr. Bush are able to get into the white house, because I am only 18 but I know that I have more common sense that man. I think that his father having been president of the U.S. and using the money that his family has, allowed him to come into power, which I think was very unfair for his competition who actually worked hard to become president.

The current war in Iraq, for an unknown cause other than nonexistent weapons of mass destruction, has made our country very unpopular through the world and even with our greatest allies. The casualties of U.S soldiers has risen to a staggering amount rising over 3,000 deaths and an incredible amount of casualties that are being counted daily. President Bush says it is for the safe keeping of our country, but what have we really gotten out of it? The answer is nothing but a probable civil war within that country, an unheard of amount of dept now in the trillions, and more people that hate us and want to blow us up. I believe that we have made a mess out of Iraq, and I think sometimes that having Saddam Hussein in power was better, because he was able to keep three different Muslim groups under control; even with the brutality that he treated his people with, he did not kill as many innocent people under his many years of power as we have in the last three to four years.

I believe that our once great nation is slowly loosing its place as the top super power nation, and china is slowly coming from behind to take that place. China’s economy is currently growing prosperously at an outstanding rate, which the U.S cannot keep up with because our incomparable differences in population workforce, and cheap labor that Chinese workers are willing to live with. This I think is a big problem because it shows a weakness in our country and corruption from within our government that has caused us to slowly loose our place at top.

What will it take to get us back at top? Is it a more politically correct government that is ran more by what the people believe or what a small group of men and women think is best for us? That I cannot answer, but if we want to make things better we need to make many improvements in the way that we do things around and world and in our country, and how we apply ourselves to do these things. I don’t believe in miracles, but I believe anything is possible if we put ourselves to it and I think our government is undoubtedly one of the best in world in the way that it is run, but I think that it’s not exactly the most politically correct.