erin - vista, California

Do the Best YOU Can

I believe in the ability to strive to be the best you can be. No matter what situations you are thrown into in life or what standards are set for yourself; you need to achieve and strive to succeed to the best of your knowledge.

Ever since I was a little girl my fondest memories were of my father giving me a hug and a kiss before he went to work and telling me that he loved me and he would say, “ Do the best you can!” No matter if I was playing on the softball field, volleyball court, or taking a test in the classroom, writing a paper at home, or studying for an exam he always emphasized to me that he was proud of me because he knew I did the best I could.

The best is not always getting an A+ on a paper, being the top ranked student in the class, or getting the highest SAT score. Being the best is achieving your goals and always being diligent in your deeds and trying your hardest to fulfill yourself in every aspect of life you participate in.

Every day and every year a new challenge presences itself and this year one of the greatest emotional hurdles that I have ever had to overcome was the death of my grandfather, a few months ago. This man was the backbone of our family and was the leader to our clan. He was a man who always did the best he could for his family and provided them with everything he could. He was a man who was always happy because he stayed true to himself and did anything he could to achieve his goals not only for himself but for his family.

My Grandpa Truman may have not been the richest man, the quietest man, the most articulate man, however he was always a man who worked hard and did everything he could for us. He tried to make everyone happy and he did whatever was necessary to support his five children and wife. He had many tragedies in his life and experienced many tribulations such as the Great Depression and World War II. Through his experiences he learned that all he could do was the best he could to survive and that was all that was asked of him.

Through watching the greatest men in my life my Grandfather and my father I have learned that you do not need to be perfect; you need to just work hard and do the best you can.