Lucas - Palm Desert, California

I believe that religion is the cause of the world’s suffering. I believe this because when I read the papers or hear on the news about the war or the civil wars I see religion at the center. Every religious person believes that their beliefs are they only true ones. Everybody else is just going to hell.

In fact just the other day I was talking to a friend of mine who is a devout Christian and I asked him how he can justify what he does and condemn every body else. His answer was that it is because God said so. Like I am supposed to believe a book that was written two thousand years ago, in a different time and a different place, by a man who believed some majestic force was talking to him. I think that the people who wrote the Bible wrote it to try and explain what was going on around the world so people who were scared and dimwitted would not be scared. Now that they “knew” what was going on they fell in behind the authors of the Bible and became sheep to people that were cheating them and working off their weakness.

Another thing that irks me is the total denial of actual facts that have been discovered. Such as the dinosaurs or early man. Christians deny the existence of these because they were not in the bible. If Adam and Eve were the first man and woman how come there are evidences of human life before their time. I say that because Bible says that Adam and Eve were just like us. How could the fist human forms be like we are today when evolution shows that is not true. The one thing that really takes the cake in my book is when I hear Christians say we did not really go into space and that we still can’t go into space. They ask to see proof that we did go into space and I say let me see proof that God exists, and if he really does why doesn’t help more often. I mean millions of people die every day yet he does nothing. Isn’t he supposed to be compassionate and caring of his favored creation.

And it is not just Christianity it is Judaism and Islam as well. Both of these are major world religions believe that all non-believers are going to hell. All the other religions that have spawned up through the main ones over the years are just as bad. Like the ones that have originated in the States. All these off shoots represent the same idea but even then these people can’t agree on certain things and continue to be divided.

This division is what causes us to continually fight. If everyone thinks they are right and that everybody else is wrong how are we to progress any further. Especially now that we have the ability to kill millions of people at the touch of a button. I believe that if everyone began to become tolerant of each other as people, everything will be fine.