Erica - Oceanside, California

I believe that good is not enough to get ahead, great is.

This somewhat vain outlook on life comes from my experiences throughout my childhood and adolescence. I have learned that yes, you can be good at math, but to get recognition for your efforts, you need to be great.

Like any good band kid, my life is unfortunately completely enthralled in band. Thus, my most significant encounter with my philosophy came from an experience in band. Way back when, during freshman year, we had our annual auditions for the three music ensembles at Rancho. When it came to it, I ended up getting into the lowest band, which most freshman end up making. Although I was good enough to be first chair, I was not great. This, what seemed like, life threatening moment, was the root of my determinism and perseverance to become a better musician, and to become great.

As a senior, I have found that my philosophy has never been more appropriate. The college application process is intense, to say the least. Although the past months have been hard on me, being rejected to my top schools, and accepted to places I would rather not go, I have learned the reality of the real world. Colleges, bosses, and companies want the greatest. Why settle for a good doctor, when you can have a great doctor?

Although harsh, I hold my belief on life to be true. Through my disappointments and reality checks, I have discovered the hard work and determination needed to be successful. So I conclude, good is not enough to get ahead, great is.