Michelle - Wheaton, Illinois
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe in singing in the shower. Whether or not people want to own up to it, everyone has sung in the shower at least once in their lifetime. Rock stars, librarians, movie stars, accountants, moms, dads, everyone has. So why is it that people are able to sing (I didn’t say well, but still sing never the less) in the shower, but get butterflies in their stomach before an oral report in science or being on stage for a skit in drama? The most obvious factor is, of course, privacy. When we are in our showers, we are cut off from the rest of the world. All the unpleasantries of our home lives, our work lives, and our stresses, are cut off by a foggy glass door or a hanging nylon curtain. And in this private environment comes a feeling of freedom, a feeling that we can do as we please, for we are not being observed, or judged, or timed. In such an environment, there is little to stand in the way between the desire to sing and the act of singing.

Growing up in a home filled with laughter and everyone’s need to be comical, I too learned to sing in the shower at a young age. But as I grew older, I began to notice some things. My older brother, who is three years older than me, believe it or not, was very shy. None the less, he still sang in the shower. That is, until he hit high school. I didn’t hear him singing anymore, and believe me, in the one bathroom that I shared with my two brothers, everything could be heard. I used to wake up to the sound of the faucet, and a chorus or two of Britney Spears. But along with my brother’s need to have a connection to his embarrassing younger siblings, his need to sing in the shower faded. I guess it was hormones, or puberty, or whatever you want to call it, but I felt my brother and I were growing distant. I thought that in the midst of all the tough stuff he was going through, it would be the best time to escape from his problems by singing in the shower. But I guess not, because he was different that first year of high school. I hardly saw him at all; he was usually locked upstairs in his room, which seemed more like a dungeon, or out with his friends, who didn’t seem to care much for me or my younger brother. He usually didn’t speak more than one word answers at the dinner table, and he just didn’t seem the same.

I’m happy to say, that as his drama filled high school years dragged on, my brother did change. I’m not sure what it was that made him start singing in the shower again, but he did. His attitude changed, and he started being the more carefree brother I knew and loved. I could talk to him, and we understood each other, and I felt we were once again connected. His friends changed too, and he met several kids who have been there for him along the way.

Now I’m not saying that my brother is the kindest person in the world, or the smartest, or the strongest, or whatever. But to me, he’s one of my heroes. I know he loves me, and I know he would do anything to protect me. He hasn’t had it easy. And I know that high school isn’t something you can just breeze right through, so believe me when I say, singing in the shower, is absolutely a good thing.