Allison - Maple Valley, Washington

I believe in miracles. Like when an old terminally ill friend can walk and talk again. Someone (most likely an old dead guy) said, “Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you’ll still land among the stars.” That’s what miracles are. When the carpet is pulled from underneath your feet and there is nowhere to go but down, you get up once again.

Walking on the moon used to seem impossible. Yet when the first man did… it was just a coincidence. I bet there are miracles every day that we just take for granted. For example, that bill that the family just doesn’t have enough money to pay for, and the little bit of money is found just before it’s due. I once watched a movie in my tenth grade English class. It was called “Bang Bang, You’re Dead” a story about an adolescent who threatened to bomb the football team then, stopped a school shooting. It amazed me that one teenager could stop other kids from killing so many. That one action stopped a war. Who would think that miracles happen daily? Not many… because it was just a coincidence.

If you have ever read the Bible you might remember “faith like a mustard seed can move mountains.” I didn’t really believe that until my injury. It all started normal during a little trip to a camp called Buck Creek that I’d gone to all my life. There was snow and our youth group was playing football during free time. I tried to tackle the youth director and slipped landing on my right knee cap with a bang. Two weeks later I was in physical therapy and a few months later, I was telling my soccer coach I couldn’t play. This was a big blow for me because dance, soccer, and swim were all taken away from me. I had nothing to do but blame. I blamed my youth director, I blamed myself, and I even blamed God. But after a while I started facing the facts that I wasn’t going to get better, so I just got to deal with it. Slowly I started joining and getting more involved with, Sunday school and singing even teaching myself guitar. The whole experience turned to be for the better, instead of focusing on what I’d lost. I focused on what I had gained and it made life way more positive. The whole experience for me was a miracle. It was like a terminally ill person walking and talking once again. It affected me a lot and made me think about the future. I don’t know where else life will take me but I know one thing; I believe in miracles.

I believe in miracles and that there will be a cure for cancer. That one day humans will discover the heart is more than an organ. That kids with disabilities will feel like average kids or even beyond average. One day there will be war no more. We will find aliens on Mars and creatures smarter than humans. I believe that bad turns good, like the ingredients for a cake mixed together. That even drug addicts and bums will get the top jobs. I believe in all this and more, “Why?” you might ask, Every time I will proudly pronounce “Because I believe in miracles.”