Katherine - Sandy Hook, Connecticut

“Hold fast to dreams

For when dreams die

Life is a broken winged bird

That cannot fly”

-Langston Hughes

I believe in many things: I believe in love, I believe in destiny, I believe that putting shoes on the table is bad luck and I believe that all people are morally good. However what I truly believe in is believing.

Because what is life without believing?

A life without belief is July without the sunshine, a birthday cake with out the icing, a life without reason. A life without belief I no life at all. Every day we push ourselves to the limit so we may achieve our wildest dreams. Some have ambitions hat are worthwhile and realistic in every aspect, yet they do not think they are capable or even worthy enough to achieve them. So they sit back and watch the rest of the world believe. What is left for them to do?

What is left for them to do but life and die?

By no means am I so angelic to live by these words all of the time. There are plenty of times when I would love to give up, to stop trying and watch everyone else go through the motions. There have been times when I have to sit down with my head in my hands because there is another fight echoing through the household. There have been times when I have been running from school to track to basketball all in one afternoon and wondering when I am going to find the time to study for my tests the next day. There have been times when I wanted to scream because I just don’t understand.

Tragedy happens: heartbreak, rage, and disaster. They happen to everyone. Te feelings are universal. I could spend my time complaining about hardships I have had to struggle through, constantly concentrating on the things that have gone wrong in my life. Granted, I have done it, I have been caught complaining about useless things. Things that will never help me succeed in life if I do not let them go. “Life is short,” someone once said to me, “and if this is the worst thing that ever happens to you in your life, consider yourself lucky.” Every time I have a bad day these words echo in my head.

Dreaming and believing is what keeps me going. I have had my dark years, I have had my time to sulk and I’m ready to move on. I have stepped into the light and am ready to face life with rose colored glasses. It doesn’t matter if someone disagrees with what I have to say. It doesn’t matter if someone agrees with what I have to say. All that matters is that I believe.

All that matters is that I believe and that is what keeps me going.