Erin - Vista, California

That Deep Thing that Transcends Everything

I believe in love. Yes, I believe in that deep, soul bending, heart-wrenching thing called love. Thing, because it can be an emotion, a feeling, an action, something to say, a label, a term of endearment, and a symbol. The different combinations of all of these is what makes love so beautiful.

As a child I was obsessed with the Disney stories that dealt with love and the pursuit of it: Aladdin overcoming his social status to be with Jasmine, Ariel becoming a human to be with Eric, and Belle falling for the Beast despite his appearance, and Prince Charming tracking down Cinderella. Watching all of those Disney movies where love seems to be the only thing worth fighting and dying for instilled in me the idea that love is the most important thing in the world. And ever since I’ve believed in love. And I know this may sound naïve, and you can call me a sucker for the romantics, but it’s true: Love is a beautiful thing and I appreciate the multi-faceted aspects and even the ambiguity of it. Love is elusive, mysterious, and seductive at the same time and that is why I believe in it. Its easier to believe in something that takes on so many different forms.

I believe in the kind of love that people think only exists in sappy books and movies. The only reason people scoff at the idea of love is because it has been overused and desensitized. But the power of love should be celebrated. I believe in the Romeo and Juliet love: unconditional and endless, extending to the heavens, everlasting. I believe that one-day I will find my knight in shining armor and fall head over heels in love, and that belief is what helps fuel my desire to live. I do believe that somewhere beyond the sea, there is someone waiting for me, and that all I need is love to survive. Love is the most passionate, intense thing human beings can feel, experience, and express in life and I believe in it, down to the very last “I love you.”