Joshua - Oceanside, California

This I believe to be true: music has the power to truly move. When I say this, I don’t necessarily mean that when I’m listening to Akon I break out in tears or that Hinder makes me want to hug someone. Instead, at least in my case, I’m thinking more along the lines of an even simpler form of music, spanning the classical age to the jazz period. For instance, I’ve found that when I listen to the German Requiem, by Brahms, I begin to feel extremely relaxed and calm, despite my previous attitude or emotions. For some reason, the unique blend between soft chords, harmonic lines, and choral solos seems to have this unusual power of emotional dominance. On the other hand, if I were to listen to Benny Goodman’s oh so famous version of Sing, Sing, Sing, I feel the need to just jump up and dance (however, I decided long ago to save the world the agony of watching such a pathetic attempt). When I think about it, I can’t really say for certain why certain pieces of music that I enjoy have such a power over me, but I know that I’m not alone. I can guarantee that if I were to play MIMS This is Why I’m Hot behind me, about one quarter of my classmates would inadvertently start shaking their “groove thang” (if you catch my drift). This all just boils down to how important music is to me, as well as the world in general. Music really does move the listener into a particular intended state of thought, forcing the individual to think, act, or speak in a particularly different way, a truly amazing quality if one were to think about it. Really…if, I consider the fact that just a big group of violins have the power to make me cry like a baby who’s just lost his “bankie,” or that a crappy synthesizer can cause a weird beat to flow through me (oh yeah, I got some skills too), it really is astonishing. But, I guess this is why some say that the world runs to the beat of a drum, or in this case, a stand up base. I truly believe that man naturally craves musical direction, and once receiving this boost, can’t help but move along happily through the day, for this is what I believe.