Becky - Inverness, Illinois
Themes: pleasure

Why is there so much pressure put on kids today? Why can’t some people just relax once in awhile? I believe people take life too seriously. I understand there is a time and a place for seriousness, but I think some people just get caught in that somber mood and can’t get out. I try to be a very relaxed person because life isn’t fun when it’s humorless. People who take life really seriously forget to have fun and what is life without fun? From my perspective, taking life seriously is more acceptable for adults than it is for kids, which is logical because adults have a lot more responsibility than kids. Although the adults are technically allowed act more seriously, their attitudes are being passed down to their children. I know way too many kids who stress out about every little thing and spend all their time worrying about nothing instead of enjoying life. We’re kids; we’re supposed to have fun, that’s kind of what being a kid is all about. We are allowed to be carefree and irresponsible. With grown-ups as role models though, us kids are taught to be serious which kind of defeats the purpose of being a kid.

One of my best friends, Chelsea, is obsessed with college. She stresses about ACT’s and SAT’s so much that it actually stresses me out. Just last week, she went to the “College and Career Center” at school and grabbed at least twenty pamphlets on different colleges which she was kind enough to read to me at lunch. Chelsea talks about college non-stop and is on college visits on so many weekends that she misses lots of social stuff we do with our friends and then even when she is there all she talks about is college. I asked her one time why she was so stressed about college all the time and she looked at me kind of confused and said, “Well, I guess because my mom is.” After she said this I said oh and nodded as if that made sense, but really I was thinking why do you have to stress out just because your mom is stressed out? Just because adults freak out about stuff shouldn’t mean kids have to. I personally have only visited one college and that was only because I was going to a football game there. I trust that I’ll be able to get into a good college so I don’t see the point in stressing out about it. I believe that if people just relax, everything will figure itself out. I use this kind of logic in most of the situations in my life. Life shouldn’t be wasted with worrying about hypothetical situations or things we really have no control over. I believe if everyone just relaxed for a few days and took life as a whole into perspective the world will be a happier place.