Ryan - Vista, California

He Said, She Said. I Say…

The definition of interpretation: to explain or tell the meaning of: present in understandable terms.

I have just defined the world interpret. I have defined something that may or may not be true. I have robbed you of your ability to communicate, discover, share, and create.

Too much of the world is defined. As global citizens, it is our responsibility to communicate. And by communicate I mean seek answers, share ideas, develop concepts, and together, unite a world. I believe in communication as a means of interpretation, progression, and resolution. The power to communicate has embedded itself deeply in the way I look at life. Whether it is cultural differences or disputes of all levels, I look to communication as an effective solution.

This past year I actively participated in our school’s internship program, preparing myself for the business world. I had successfully completed two internships and was ready to move onto my third. However, the third internship program did not go as smoothly as the other two. I had communicated to my new mentor that I could not continue the internship due to personal complications. My internship mentor spoke with my internship coordinator portraying to him that I did not like the internship and left because it was “boring.” This started the “he said, she said” dispute. Instantly my words were spun and twisted. He had redefined who I was without consulting with me. Simply communicating with me rather than taking my words out of context would have avoided this. I had lost my integrity to that person because of a communicational error.

There is an opinion for everything, and with an opinion comes a definition. I do not condemn definitions, but rather challenge them. I believe it is our duty to find the truth through our own discoveries. If we only listen we will never progress. Communicating is a two way medium. I believe in communication because I believe in resolution and truth.

Make your own definitions. Interpret everything. Communicate.