Jared - Newtown, Connecticut

This I Believe. I believe that everything is worth fighting for. Whether it is for a spot on the hockey team, or the first chair in an orchestra, or that special person’s heart, everything and anything that means something to me is worth fighting for.

Many things in life require me to setup goals in order to achieve them in their entirety. Goals are the stepping-stones that I must step on in order to get to where I am going. If I am going to write an essay on what the causes of World War I, I would not just write an essay based on what I already knew. No, first, I would setup a goal, or a stepping-stone that I had to achieve or go over in order to move onto the next goal. I would have to make many and achieve all of the goals that lay in the way of my finishing of the task.

Along with fighting for what I want, I actually have to believe that I can get what I want. I have to go in with a positive and “winning” attitude. If I don’t, I have already set myself up to fail. And even if I fail, I still have achieved what I set out to achieve. That is, I fought for what I thought was right.

In time, if I fight for what I want, after I have tried and failed, and tried and failed some more, I will have learned enough from “practicing” it a lot. I will learn from “practice,” or, from failing so many times. Martha Graham, a famous dancer and choreographer who created 181 ballets, once said, “Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired.” So in time, with enough practice, I will succeed in whatever it is I failed.

As well as practice, and not believing in myself, I have to realize that I am the only one that can make it happen. No one else can do it for me. Sure, I might get a helping hand along the way, but I will have to do it for myself for it to mean anything. Also, I have to recognize that I am human and must appreciate the finer things in life. Imperfections are part of being human. I am going to make mistakes, in all aspects of my life.

And, if I want to stop the mistakes, I am going to have to learn to give myself some room to breathe now and then. I am going to have to learn to accept the fact that I am going to make mistakes, and those mistakes will inevitably point me onto the path of victory and success.