Alexander - Long Grove, Illinois

I believe in struggle… As an 18 year old growing up in the suburbs, one might say that I haven’t gone through any major struggles. I beg the differ, struggles are what drive me in life. Yes, I have all of my limbs and am fairly healthy, for I am blessed with many things, but I have gone through many trials and tribulations in my life. When I was 13 years old my family was torn apart. Drinking and Drugs seemed more important to my father than I did. I saw him choose what life style he wanted, I saw only his back walking away from us. I took it hard as any young teenager would. I felt like it was the end of the world, but as I grew older these times would give my the strength to deal with the real world. I feel that I grew stronger as an individual and as an adult. I no longer lived in that fairy tale land where everything goes your way. There is no such thing as a fairy tale, altercations are expected to come with full force.

I believe that we should not shut these altercations out, but embrace them and make a change. For these are the very struggles that mold your life. Struggles test our morals, our character. It is easy to have a smile on your face during times of tranquility, but true character shines through troubled times. Through uncomfortable situations you find what it takes inside of you to overcome the situation. When I was in seventh grade I was cut from my Jr. High Basketball team. I was devastated, but determined to prove everyone wrong. From that day forward I devoted all of my time to practice. Whether it was raining, or over 100 degrees out, I was playing basketball. The next year I made my team and continued pushing forward and played varsity basketball in high school. I showed that through my failure, through my struggles, I would succeed. It gave my life the kick start it needed. Some people like to think that they motivate themselves, but I can be sure that they went through a hard time in their life that gave them that ability.

People say that through pain, comes love. Well I believe that through struggles, comes success. Struggles often steer people the worng way, a bend in the road results in a lost trial. But not me, when my road bends, I turn and keep moving forward.