Amanda - Tulsa, Oklahoma

This I believe

Being able to read, write, and calculate math problems is a necessity in the twenty-first century. Education structures our lives; it teaches us what we need to be successful in life and is the foundation for a strong country. A college education can make the difference between living comfortably and struggling to meet basic necessities. Our economy, as a nation depends on an educated work force.

When we are around five years old our parents wake us up in the morning at around the same time. We get out of bed, put on our clothes, brush our teeth, eat breakfast, and then we are off to school. This goes on from elementary to middle and then eventually high school, with only slight change. It’s almost like a ritual, getting up early in the morning on week-days for twelve years to go to school. This prepares us future because all careers require being present at specified times. One needs to be able to read to perform the most fundamental tasks such as: filling out an application for a job, obtaining a drivers license, or follow even the simplest written instructions. Skills in math are necessary to manage a personal budget. Without basic math skills most, if not all, jobs would be very difficult or impossible.

College education makes a massive difference in lifestyles. When I was a young child my mother worked at a bank for slightly over minimum wage. Day to day I watched my mother struggle to meet our family’s needs with very little help from my father. Although my sister and I never felt deprived we certainly saw the benefits of our mother’s education after college. Before our mother decided to go to college I specifically remember one thing that she said to me at the grocery store. I remember once asking her “Mom, can I have fruit roll-ups?” she replied “No, I’m sorry honey, but we don’t have enough money.” My mother made the wise choice to go to college when i was about five years old. She spent four years sitting on her bed with books surrounding her. After graduating she had no difficulty finding a suitable job. Before long it was clear to us even as young children the dramatic change in our life.

How would you feel about going to a doctor who had no prior training on disease processes? Or have your appendix removed by a surgeon who had never completed the ninth grade? I know that I wouldn’t even consider it. What would it be like to live in a country where the legislature was illiterate? They wouldn’t be suitable to make decisions for themselves much less for the good of society. Although these examples may appear ridiculous in a world without education they would be a reality.