Sami - USA

I believe in the power of music. Not just any music; not rap with cuss words every other word, nor depressing country songs, and especially not mindless pop songs. When I listen to those types of music it’s easy to just agree with the artist is trying to say in the lyrics. My own thoughts and opinions are just a minor thought if any at all. When I sing along with those songs, half the time I have no idea what I’m really saying. No, I believe in the power of classical music. Listening to, and especially playing classical music, forces me to have your own emotions and thoughts.

Composers write for a reason. They usually are expressing their feelings or depicting what is happening in their world. Singers certainly do this in their lyrics, yet when listening to the lyrics, you remove your opportunity to form your own opinions and think your own thoughts. With classical music, there are no lyrics to distract you. You feel your own emotions. You are free to have your own opinions about the piece, and what the composer meant.

Last summer, at quartet camp, my group played Mendelssohn’s string quartet in E flat major. It’s an incredibly beautiful, sorrowful piece, and I thought that the first time my group tried playing it. But it wasn’t until later, did I really understand and appreciate the genius and true beauty of the piece. It happened after one of the coaches came and talked to us. He asked us what we thought the music meant. We played it again and we all played with emotion and feeling; feeling the music together. I truly felt connected to the music and the quartet itself. It was so amazing that it brought tears to my eyes.

Classical music is so underrated in today’s society. Most people who haven’t been around classical music enough don’t appreciate it. But I have, and I’ve discovered how amazing it really is. I love the thrills and chills I get from classical music and that is why I do so many musical activities. I believe in the power of classical music to let me be myself.