Bridie - Sandy Hook, Connecticut

I believe that no religion is right. There are too many to have just one. I believe that there is a God. There is a power that guides us. I believe that something started what we have. I know that there are peaceful people, and people who are angry. We can’t all follow one book or one story. These different stories cause arguments and fights. These beliefs of many religions cause wars. Look where we are now, in the middle of a battle of countries that have been fighting about religion for hundreds of years. I turn on the television and see new soldiers dead each day, because we have placed ourselves in a war that has been battled for thousands of years and over one single thing; religion. We shouldn’t throw ourselves in this madness, because sadly, it seems to have no end. This infinite war is continually fought over the contrasting beliefs of others.

I believe that stories of religion have changed over time. When did religion begin, and how? One person changed the entire story of Christianity. Where and who were the followers of Jesus Christ before He walked this earth? I don’t understand when they began or why.

I believe there is something. I believe people are good people based on how they treat and help others, not how they worship a religion. A day at a place of worship does not compensate for the choice of killing thousands in a war. People are hypocrites. I see

it in my own Catholic church. I am not accepted there because I don’t attend weekly mass. We need to respect the choices of others. They tell us to treat all equally, yet homosexuals are not allowed to get married under the laws of the Catholic Church. My uncle is gay; how is he any less of a person than a heterosexual? The Bible wasn’t written in heaven and thrown down to us on earth. Men wrote it years ago. There are church rules that change throughout the years based on how the church leaders at the time want the Catholic society to act. Some years we are forced to hold hands while saying the Our Father, and other years, the church decides that rule isn’t needed due to a strong flu season. I know only my experience with the Catholic Church. Their constant interpretations of one solitary book are useless to me. I’m a female, why can’t I be a priest? There are too many beliefs that are unacceptable within this one religion, resulting in me finding it hard to believe that any other form of any religion has perfection. I believe that I don’t know what to believe and others should be okay with that. All I know is that I have faith in something guiding me to be a better person, regardless of what religion or god I follow.