Veronica - Stafford, Virginia

I believe in the goodness in people.

For weeks now I’ve been trying to figure out what I truly believe in, what creative and maybe even inspiring essay I can dazzle my peers with, portraying my one belief that really sums me up. But the truth is, no matter how cliche it might sound, what I believe in the most is the goodness in people. I believe that inside every person there is a sinner and a saint, a lover and a fighter and that’s the beauty in the world. I believe that sometimes great people do terrible things and other times terrible people do great things. Like anyone else, I’m furious after a huge fight between a lover or a friend. But in the end, I can’t hold a grudge and I don’t see the point in it either. I can’t justify why people tend to hurt others from time to time, but behind all of the faults of human nature, I believe in every persons ability to be good at heart (although their actions may not always prove it to be true). About five months ago, one of my closest friends stopped talking to me because his girlfriend began to hate me. She hated me because I absolutely loved my best friend and to her that was reason enough to ask him to leave me alone. We went from crying on each-other’s shoulders to not even waving hello in between classes. It absolutely tore me apart; I couldn’t grasp the idea of him so easily throwing away our great friendship. But literally, just yesterday, I decided to talk to him since school is practically over, and we stayed up until 1:30 in the morning talking. Needless to say we had a lot to catch up on. And in that time he told me he couldn’t believe that I could still be his friend after all that he did. For no legit reason he cut me out of his life and treated me like he would a complete stranger. I explained to him that there was no reason for me to keep him out of my life, just because he made a few really stupid mistakes. I believe in the goodness in all people because everybody is deserving of that kind of faith. Besides, life is much too short to stay mad at anybody.