Kerstin - Vista, California

As I move on the road to higher education, I have realized how much I value those with extensive knowledge. I believe that the quest for knowledge is a lifelong journey that truly has no end, and I think having higher intellectual thought on a daily basis is truly invaluable. I admire those who continue to stimulate their minds at any age by reading and exposing themselves to different life experiences, whether it be 8 or 80, for they have realized the essence of living.

As I ponder the meaning of intelligence, I have realized the importance of life experience as a major component to my belief of what knowledge is. Although I highly value those that devote themselves to endless hours of rigorous study, I believe that without the appropriate life experience, their knowledge of their desired subject will forever be incomplete. I believe that a large factor of knowledge is found in life experiences, ranging from small interactions with those of a different social or cultural background to huge experiences, like traveling abroad. I think that although the mind is wonderful and mysterious, I believe that no monetary value can be placed on obtaining life experiences. I believe that every opportunity presented to you should be taken, unless it poses some type of serious danger to your physical or mental well being. I believe that even the most random jobs or opportunities should be seized, for often times in life it seems that these random experiences often provide you with the greatest memories and most benefit in later years. And I also believe that events that could be classified as setbacks, like getting into a car accident or not getting into your desired college, provide you with knowledge and prepare you for another life experience that you would not have had the opportunity to experience, if the so called “bad” event had not occurred.

I have decided dedicate the remainder of my life towards obtaining knowledge and life experiences. I want to live my life in a way so that when I’m at a point where I know that my days are numbered, I have no regrets of any missed opportunities. I believe that if I live my life in this way, I will live a valuable life full of variety, a life that I would not trade for anything in the world.