Errica - fresno, Texas

This I believe. We are all put on this earth to do something good for someone else even if it is just one. Mrs. Lyles, she was for me. I believe this for sure. I arrived in her classroom quiet and already sure that no one really cared to know or hear what I had to say. She stood tall in class and brown like me. She wasn’t instantly beautiful but she was amazing at the same time. Her beauty existed in her strength and intelligence. “Sit up tall and straight,” she commanded. “Young ladies sit like young ladies and young men sit like young men.”

Her voice assured you that she was serious and not to be played with. That I’m-a-teenager-not-to-be-reckoned-with attitude had to be left at the door. I loved her. She shone like a light in my world.

When their was something to be a part of she included me without my permission or knowledge. It was like she knew my strengths before I’d even discovered them. She put me on the school newspaper as a journalist. They announced my name over the intercome. I was shocked. I looked in Mrs. Lyles’ direction. She almost smiled at me. I knew and I was glad.

She would read my stories and ask me privately in her own stern way if I’d really written the words before her. Then, she’d tell me I had a gift.

She was tall, intelligent, strong, brown and I believe she was for me. She taught me to see the gifts inside of me. Now as a teacher I make it my job to look for gifts in others. Thank you Mrs. Lyles where ever you are.