Jasmin - Bermuda Dunes, California

Music is an outburst of the soul

I believe that music is an outburst of the soul. I came to know how powerful music was at the young age of 6 years. Rock n’ roll music was it for me. Every Sunday at seven in the morning I would wake up and go get donuts in my dad’s beat up 1966 El Camino. He would turn the dial to the oldies station and we’d sing along to the sounds of Percy Sledge, Steppenwolf, The Shirelles, The Rolling Stones, and Otis Redding, to name a few.

There are few things in life that could make one feel the way I did when I was six years old, listening to rock n’ roll from decades past, and still- years later, get the same feeling from it. I believe that the closest sensation I could compare it to would be none other than love. It makes me laugh, cry, reminisce, and forget about the world around me. As far as I know, that is how love feels. You are completely enamored with this single being or thing that it gives you chills and raises the hair in the back of your neck every time.

Someone once said “ Music is what feelings sound like”. I believe that quote is entirely true. Why do you think there are so many love songs? It’s the strongest feeling one can convey. Music is a form of expression, of letting go, and holding on to. I believe it fills the empty spaces inside of everyone and feeds those souls that are never full.

Have you ever put a song on repeat? Then you know what being in love with

Rivera 2

music feels like. It’s that exact feeling the song gives you. A song brings you back to a

specific day, a particular person, an emotion. You play it over and over to make that feeling last longer.

I believe music is my best friend and only constant form of love. It gives and does not take, it is always there when I need it, and if I get tired of it- I can always change the song. It is my crutch when I feel lost and need someone to relate to- I can always put on that song. It is better than any material object, because you cannot own music as a whole. It belongs to everyone.

Dobie Gray said it best when he sang soulfully “Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away”. He knew the feeling that I am talking about. It is that sensation of being infinite, complete, and full of life. That is why I believe that music is an outburst of the soul.