Lauren - Newtown, Connecticut

May is my favorite month of the year. In Connecticut, this is when the buds on the trees begin to grow, when the daffodils, forsythia, and crocus bloom and when there is only one month left until summer vacation. Hallelujah.

As a high school junior I have little time to enjoy the month of May. Three months ago I began to realize that college is quickly approaching. As April Fool’s Day rolled around, this became ever more clear as my senior friends were either being accepted or – gulp – rejected from their top schools of choice. This will be me in less than one year. In four short months, I will be applying to colleges.

My life, to put it mildly, is on the hectic side. I soon have SATs and ACTs each for the second time (now it actually matters if I do well), the SAT IIs in biology and math, AP tests for Biology and English Language and Composition, and on top of that, regular school work, tests, the fast approaching finals, and a long list of after school clubs and community service…not to mention driver’s ed. This is merely my list of obligations. On top of all this, I also need to get teacher recommendations for college, visit schools, have time for friends and family, find a summer job, and top it off with a smile.

I think it would be a fair statement to say that stress has moved in next door, and become my new best friend. The crazy part is that I actually am beginning to appreciate the stress (minus the bags under my eyes), or at least the nudges from the different areas of my life that ensure that I do not procrastinate. Despite the cliché comments that the wise elderly of society harshly claim that all teenagers are whiny, lazy students, I find this to be quite ironic. I do not whine, besides the above paragraph, and my complicated agenda works for me. I enjoy the challenge of needing to rush from one place to the next, to always hurry, always work. I’m not saying that I don’t stop to smell the daffodils, enjoy what I’m doing every once in a while, because I do. The difference is that I try to leave no time for procrastination, no time of nothingness. When one has no time to accomplish ten different things, more will be finished than if there is a week for those tasks. By removing the void of nothing, I finish more and feel great about finishing work.

I have more tests, projects, and papers due than I can count, I can’t remember the last time I slept for more than six hours, and I rush from place to place. I am tired and, to my family’s misfortune, often crabby. However, I know that this year is crucial and will either make or break me. Working hard every day, pursuing my goals, ensures me a bright future.

I believe in giving your whole self to achieve your results.