Rachel - Vista, California

I believe that life is about taking the leap of faith.

The past few months have been filled with some of the hardest decisions to date in my life. The next few months are only the tip of the ice burg in what I’d like to call “Growing Up, Phase Two”.

I was asked this weekend to make the most pivotal decision in my future: move to Washington, or stay here in California. I was a nervous wreck. I was so afraid that I would make a mistake, I would move somewhere I hated only to waste the time, energy, and money to come back home. I wanted to know what I was going for. On the flip side, I couldn’t just sit on my hands in California; anxious and regretful of not taking the leap.

I chose Washington. Not because of college, not because of relationships, not for any condemning or regretful factors weighing in my conscious. I chose Washington because I said “Why not?”

It occurred to me that people spend half their lives overanalyzing the decisions they never made because they were too worried to make them. Regret is really a two way street, you can’t make a decision without looking down to the other path wondering what would have been.

They say “when life closes a door, it opens a window.” But why can’t it open a skylight? Why can’t I burst through the wall? But I can!

I’m sick of putting imaginary dead ends on every path in life. People are so afraid of walking around the corner and seeing a U-turn only sign that they don’t bother walking around the corner at all. But I’m going to be different. This is going to be different.

So there is a dead end straight ahead….so turn left, veer right, trudge through the thicket, chop through the bushes, swim across the river.

There are no dead ends in life, only less obvious and slightly less glamorous paths to our dreams.