Erin - Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Themes: children

Childhood: Most Remarkable Times In One’s Lifetime

The first steps, to the first words, the first time to ride a bike mark some of the most memorable moments in one’s life. Not oddly enough these are the times of pubescent childhood. As children, innocence is pure, and naivety is high, making any child feel invincible. Childhood marks the time of carefree joy, and enthusiasm for the surrounding world.

Childhood is often associated with pop culture, or materialistic objects. It is quite ironic that objects such as a toy, can enhance the deep emotions associated with childhood. Television shows, music, books, and toys can alter the experience of one’s childhood. As a child growing up in the early 1990s, I was fascinated with the popular culture. The way I dressed, spoke, and played was usually dictated by what I had seen on television or in the toy store. I vividly remember when I received my first Easy Bake Oven, complete with the different food items to prepare. The sweet aroma of the small chocolate cake brought such delight and joy into my small world. For me the first day of school in my elementary education was filled with great excitement. I could not wait to show off my exclusive lunch box with such iconic figures as Carebears, Barbie, or Power Rangers. Those priceless moments make my childhood seem thus far the most satisfying time of my life.

The childhood experience can be connected to any generation. No matter how old an individual may be; one can still connect to one’s own specific memories of one’s childhood. The experiences may be different, but the feeling and emotion is all the same. When I watch young children playing on a jungle gym, I cannot help but reminisce about when I was in those shoes, carefree with the only stress of which television show I should watch in the evening. It is not a surprise that many people gravitate to their childhood, because of the carefree and more than complacent attitude. Childhood allows one a view in a brighter world, unlike adults view the world.

In most situations children are nurtured and cared for by older individuals. Usually children have a t least one individual to protect them from harm way. It is as if a child is surrounded with armor, which deflects off any negativity or problems. Slowly as the child gets older the armor rusts away, and the harsh bruises of the world arise.

Children let go of their few problems and leave it all behind them. Children appreciate and treasure just the simple things. I simply believe a child’s innocence is so pure that it is able to capture the most precious moments in one’s life. I believe adults often forget to stop and seize the snapshots of life. I truly believe childhood is the most essential and prevalent times in one’s life.