Brad - Lutherville, Maryland
Themes: work

I believe in 100% effort, 100% of the time. By always trying your hardest, good things will always happen. For example, by making a 100% effort in school work, you will be rewarded with good things. When in school, I believe that you should do all your work. However, do not just do it to finish it, rather, do it well ad take your time; I learned this lesson too late. Previously, I had tried to get my work doe as soon as possible, so I could later go outside and play basketball with my neighbor, or just relax and watch some television. It wasn’t until the middle of my junior year that I realized the importance of making a strong effort. My dream since I had been a young boy was to attend the University of Maryland at College Park. When realizing that my grades were just average, I knew that I had to pick up the pace to be locked in to the college of my choice. I started off my junior year struggling in a few subjects, and finding myself doing just OK in others; I then picked up my workload. I spent more time on my studies, and it almost paid off. As the report cards came out, I saw slight improvement, but not the amount I had hoped for.

I was upset and frustrated that I had not gotten the grade that I had rightfully earned. Unfortunately, I went back to my old habits. I began doing less work, thinking I could cram it all in before class that day. I began staying up later at night, talking to friends, listening to music, and watching television. I did not take my studies seriously as I should have, and I paid immensely for that mistake. For the second time, my report card came home. My mother was very frustrated, and disappointed with my results. I remember that night; it was one of the worst in my life. I remember how hard it was sitting on the cold, wooden chair, with my mother telling me that I was not reaching my potential, and there was no excuse for my performance. That night, when I was lying in my bed, I told myself I had to do better. I said that I would always remember this terrible feeling I had in my stomach, and I knew I never wanted it again.

The next morning, I saw my teachers whose classes had given me trouble, and we outlined plans to help me receive and earn a better grade. It took lots of work and effort, but this effort and a large time commitment can give someone a great boost of confidence, and an even better grade. To make a long story short, when the report card came home the next quarter, I had no butterflies in my stomach. I knew everything was going to be OK, and everything turned out just fine. When it came in the mail, and my mom opened it, I could see how proud she was of me by the expression on her face. This was one of the greatest moments in my short life, and it just shows you how far a little effort can go.