Adam - 21093
Themes: freedom

The Green Light

Adam Boukis

I believe in driving: Two eyes on light grey concrete, A foot on the brake or perhaps the accelerator. While driving one might think back through human history, how arriving at point “b” has been a bare nececity. And humans show their nature on the road. Some drivers are too aggressive, others too slow. I like to think of myself as a mood driver. Don’t stay off the roads just yet for I do not mean to say that when I feel vengeful I try to hit pedestrians. When I drive I let how I feel dictate where I go and what route I take to arrive there. I can think of five routes that lead from my house to school. I know that taking interstate 83 undoubtedly is the quickest route, yet I have taken all fve routes at least ten times each.

Rather than impersonal interstate driving, sometimes I would rather gaze at the scenery or meander through my thoughts, for driving is one of the few times in the day when I truly get to be alone. This is not to say that I do not enjoy driving my friends as well, for I do, immensely. But to say that one is much more adept toward phychoanalysis while going solo.

While driving I think, “perhaps old people drive so slowly because they have more memories to think about, mothers because they have children to worry for. Driving may not be indicative of who we are, for all driving really is is a way to get from point “a” to point “b.” But I do believe that it is on the journey between point “a” and “b,” by car, or school, or parents where we must find and come to terms with our true selves.