Christina - Indio, California

This I believe… What do I believe? Well, do you know what a belief is? “Of course!” You might say. A belief, according to Webster’s dictionary from Dictionary.com is, “confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof. Confidence, Faith, Trust.” Right? Well, I believe that believing is much more than just having confidence in something, having faith in something or trusting in someone. I believe that your beliefs are your reality, in every aspect of life. Who’s to say what is real and what is not? What is reality? Relating back to the handy dictionary again, “Reality is something that exists independently of ideas concerning it.” Everything as we know it, a cup, science, numbers, everything began as someone’s idea. So reality is something that exists as an accepted idea. In some societies, the accepted idea is what you do. Period. Well what if I don’t accept that idea? Then whatever I do accept, whatever I believe is real; for me.

When I was in middle school, I would have considered myself devout Christian. I read my bible everyday. Walked the walk, Talked the talk. I was living they way I believed at the time, to be the right way to live. I believed that Jesus Christ was the ONLY way to get to heaven and everyone else was going to hell. Simple as that. So everyday, I did my best to change people. To change what they believed and make them see what I saw. I wanted them to feel what I felt ( a connection with God, and ultimate happiness). But what about the people who live across the world and have never even heard of Jesus Christ? They were automatically on their way to hell in a hand basket. Well, as time passed by, I realized that nobody could ever feel what I feel or see what I see because I’m the only one that has my heart, and I’m the only one who has my eyes and my mind. I realized that what makes me happy, isn’t the only way to be happy.

Now I apply this belief, my own belief, to every aspect of my life. What may be real to me, may not be real to you, and that’s okay. If I truly believe that I’m going to go to heaven and live with Christ for eternity, then I will. If you truly believe that you will be reincarnated into a dove, then you will. If Bob truly believes that he is going to be stuck in the ground and stay there when he dies, then who am I to say he wont? I have never died, I have never experienced a lot of things. I have never been, and never will be anybody but myself. I believe that I should do what I feel is right in my heart. This I believe: What I believe is my reality. I believe in believing.