clifford - falls church, Virginia
Themes: freedom

In this day and age, many things differ from the times of ones parents. No one goes to the drive in any more, or plays in the streets until their mother calls for dinner. It seems everyone has nothing to do with his or her families anymore. There could be many different causes for this phenomenon, but my reasoning would have to include acquiring a driver’s license.

There is no other feeling in the world like when you go before that judge and he hands you that simple little piece of plastic that not only permits you to drive, but contains the key to your teenage freedom. No longer does one have to rely on their parents for transportation, and to get out of the house requires the simple turn of a key. But with this freedom that teenagers enjoy so dearly, comes the sadness of the parents.

No longer do they have control over their offspring, and no longer can they dictate where and when they go places. While some parents don’t worry as much as others, I believe every parent has the right to be concerned. It is a very scary thing that a few simple test and some classroom lessons allow a person to take control over a motor vehicle. And almost every teen in their early driving career has driven under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which is terrifying.

It just seems that teens are trying so hard to be independent and rebellious, but they never appreciate what gave them the ability to get to that point, their parents. And with the ability to have a driver’s license, most teens abuse their parents and have no respect for the hard work that was put forth for them. While a driver’s license is a great privilege, and an awesome freedom, it also comes with vast consequences.

With the appreciation of that privilege, one can enjoy many things that he or she was unable to do before. Whether those things are good, or bad, that decision is expected to be made wisely. Because it is those simple little decisions that cannot only affect your lives, but others as well.