Sang Hyuk - Kathmandu, Nepal
Themes: change

Zealous jealousy

So picture this: quite, innocent, humble-looking Korean boy sitting in the corner of a typical classroom. He has just received his latest history test scores. The wrinkle on his forehead and his nose shows he’s not terribly happy. He gets up, walks over to another table and spots a fellow classmate who has earned an A+. “Wow, good job! Congratulations!” he says, with a big smile on his face. Now, at this moment, what truly is going on in his mind??

“What the hell! How did this fool get a better score than I did? I’m so much smarter than this guy! This has got to be a joke!” That’s right. You have just been victimized! Under my smiling face lies the real self… master of deception! Even in this moment of internal outrage, I manage to throw in a word or two with a straight face: “You are so smart!” To add to the fury, the teacher comes over and compliments the other boy. “Ha! Lucky piece of sh*t, he probably cheated or something.” After this brief period of extreme “in-plosion,” I regain my calm and concentration. “I will show them… if that fool can pull it off, I can do it too! Faster! Better! What makes anyone better than me huh?

At least, I’m more of a man then he will ever be.” At this moment, I realized something I’ve been denying for all my life – that I was a very jealous, cocky, competitive person. I was baffled… “What has happened to me?” “What has turned me into someone I cannot possibly be?” It was harsh, this moment of awakening; I could not eat or drink for many hours, (now this is a long long time!) until I failed to generate acceptable answers of my actions. I am not quite sure what happened. (Hunger, thirst?) But I’m sure of one thing: I believe in jealousy. It is what motivates me in life, it is my driving force. Many people say that jealousy is a bad, no good, evil side of humans. Nut you see, jealousy isn’t that bad after all. All you need is the sufficient amount of cockiness and self-belief to stop your jealousy from taking over you. If this happens, you know what can happen, does Othello ring a bell? Jealousy and cockiness goes hand in hand. With the right combination of zealous jealousy and cockiness, I believe I, you, he, she, they, even the fool I mentioned above – can achieve anything.

Sang Hyuk Lee (aka Bruce Lee)