Lauren - Geneseo, Illinois
Themes: love

I believe that teenage romance should not been taken that seriously.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not some cold, heartless, moody gothic girl. I’m actually quite a normal high school girl, involved in numerous activities, tough classes, and a demanding social life. I talk to boys and boys talk to me. I’m not against them at all. I think they’re fun and easy to talk to. My past relationships have been exciting and serious. The breakups, and the ones I’ve witnessed, are usually tougher because of the intense attachments.

Dating isn’t wrong. Girls and guys, however, get so serious and so obsessive in high school relationships. They get so preoccupied that they can’t focus on things that matter, like school and work. They spend so much time with each other and neglect their friends, and when the breakup hits, they feel as if the world has crashed down on them.

I’m not saying that all high school relationships fail. Some, although a tiny percentage, actually do end up in marriage (how long those marriages last are unknown). However, most fail, with many wet tissues and chocolate wrappers left over. Teens build up their expectations, hoping that this person may be “the one,” but in high school, chances are that they aren’t.

Many teens say it’s good practice to date around; that it builds experience. Casual dating is fine and does just that. Serious relationships, however, are more harmful than good.

I see so many couples walk down the hallways of my school, holding hangs, making out next to their lockers, and giving each other long and intense hugs, hoping that they’ll survive one hour apart. Yet a few months later, I see the same people walking down the halls with puffy eyes and red noses.

I’ve been in that situation before. I know what it feels like to feel like you’re in love with your boyfriend. I’m one of those girls that look toward the future and hope that the next guy may be “the one,” and I can’t help it. But now I’m trying to be realistic. I have so many more important things to be worrying about than whether a guy likes me or how I’m going to spend the evening with my boyfriend. These things may be fun, but overall, they will not be the deciding factors on whether I succeed in life. I neglect my friends, who will always be by my side no matter what.

So my point is that girls and guys should be careful when dealing with high school relationships. They should not overtake their lives. Instead, they should be carefree and fun. All of the serious relationships should be dealt with when they’re actually considering getting marriage.

Teens just need to sit back and enjoy the ride because falling madly in love with their high school partners strains all other aspects of their lives. They should value their friends and the little joys in life rather than trying to force serious relationships that won’t work out in the end.